Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Prayer, Temple, and Talks-April 20, 2009

Dear family and friends,

Well Sister Avila left last night to go home so I have two new companions now. I am now serving with Sisters Joseph and Walch. They are serving in Mesquite and so for the next 3 weeks we will be covering both their area and my area in Kaufman and Forney. It is going to be very busy and crazy trying to cover all three wards. But I am excited to be serving with Sisters Joseph and Walch.

Sister Avila and I were teaching this young man named Paul this week. He is 19 years old and this was our 3rd time teaching him. At the beginning of the lesson it was very rocky and hard to get them to settle down and listen. When he told us that he did not do his reading I was starting to get frustrated and thought what are we doing teaching this young man, I felt like that he did not really care about anything we were trying to tell him. But we finally got them to all set down and we decided to read with him the scripture that we had left him with. We read Alma 32:28 with him about faith being like a seed and having to plant it. Sister Avila asked Paul what stood out to him in that scripture and he said the part about not casting it out by our unbelief! Slowly I started to think ok maybe this kid does care and I just have to keep reminding myself that he is only 19. Well we read some other scriptures and talked about them. The lesson just kept getting better and better. I don't have time to write all that happened in the lesson but it went very well and the Spirit was strong. At the end of the lesson Sister Avila commited Paul to come to church this week for her last Sunday on the mission. Paul finally agreed to come. Brandon, Paul's member friend, then asked Paul if he would say the closing prayer. Paul gave the best prayer that I have heard an investigator give on my whole mission. In his prayer he asked to know God's truth through His word, the Book of Mormon and the Bible. And that he would not cast it out by his unbelief. Then he prayed to be able to feel the Spirit this Sunday as he went to church with the Latter day Saints. He even prayed for Sister Avila and I by named and thanks God for us being in his life. His prayer was long and very sincere. In the car I told Sister Avila how I felt at the start of the lesson but now I know that Paul really does care and that he has a desire to learn and know the truth. It was a great experience.

Sat. we were able to go to the temple again. Sister Avila wanted to go one last time before going home so we were able to go and do a session. I love going to the temple and the peace that you always feel inside it.

Yesterday Sister Avila and I had to speak in both the Kaufman ward and the Forney ward. I made this whole time without giving a talk in church on my mission so I guess the Lord felt I was over due and gave me the chance to speak twice in one day! It was good though and I did not mind. In the Forney ward I was asked to speak about the gift of the Holy Ghost. Then in the Kaufman ward I was able to speak on anything I want to so I spoke about the Book of Mormon, after Sister Avila spoke about the restoration of the gospel. I love speaking about the Restoration and The Book of Mormon. We are truly blessed to know that we have a living prophet on the earth today. That God still speaks today and He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. God does still inspire men today and call them to His work. I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God. It is proof of the Restoration and that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God.

I love y'all. Thanks for your prayers and support. Have a great week.

Love,
Sister Keys

No comments:

Post a Comment